Advancing scientific culture through Wikimedia projects
Since 2014, NeuroMat has led an initiative to improve scientific content on Wikimedia projects, especially Wikipedia in Portuguese. This initiative was framed as “a call to duty,” to the extent that it recognized that this electronic encyclopedia, one the ten most visited websites in the world, is a go-to reference for educational purposes. The conjecture that this initiative relies on is: It is plausible that levels of scientific culture have an impact on the quality of contributions to scientific entries on Wikipedias of all languages; yet, what is the expected impact of the quality of Wikipedia scientific entries, as an open educational resource, to the level of scientific culture.
LASCON: a video presentation
A NeuroMat initiative, the Latin American School on Computational Neuroscience (LASCON) is one of the most important computational neuroscience schools in the world. Its mission is to provide an intensive training for advanced undergraduate and graduate students, an introduction to mathematical and computational tools for neural modeling and analysis. The school relies on theory-driven sections and practical, hands-on activities.
Last NeuroMat scientific publications
- S. Gallo, F. Leonardi. "Nonparametric statistical inference for the context tree of a stationary ergodic process." Electronic Journal of Statistics 9.2 (2015): 2076-2098.
- A. de Andrade Costa, R. Tinós. "Investigation of rat exploratory behavior via evolving artificial neural networks." Journal of Neuroscience Methods 270 (2016): 102-110.
NeuroMat in the media
NeuroMat Facebook Highlights
NeuroMat Blog Highlights
- CEPID NeuroMat disponibiliza áudios de Média, Mediana e Moda na Wikipédia
- Treinamento de Difusão Científica em Web 2.0 está disponível na Wikiversidade
- Revista da Faculdade Cásper Líbero destaca trabalho de wiki-difusão do CEPID NeuroMat
- Imagem de projeto GLAM do NeuroMat e MAV é eleita como destaque no Wikimedia Commons
NeuroMat is a research center established in 2013 at the University of São Paulo that is dedicated to integrating mathematical modeling and theoretical neuroscience. Among the core missions of NeuroMat are the creation of a new mathematical system to understanding neural data and the development of neuroscientific open-source computational tools. The research center is headed by Prof. Antonio Galves, from USP's Institute of Mathematics and Statistics, and is funded by the São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP).
To receive monthly updates on NeuroMat's work or pertaining news, please subscribe to NeuroMat's newsletter: neuromat.numec.prp.usp.br/newsletter/subscriptions
For more information or press inquiries on NeuroMat, please contact us at: email@example.com
NeuroMat's website: neuromat.numec.prp.usp.br
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/neuromathematics. On this FB page we post updates on Neuromathematics, related news, forthcoming events and other pertaining information.
Previous issues of the NeuroMat Newsletter (features)
- Integrating research, technology transfer and dissemination: NeuroMat’s third report of activities
- NeuroMat Parkinson Network: a video presentation
See all editions here