NeuroMat organizes meeting on mathematical literacy in Brazil
The Research, Innovation and Dissemination Center for Neuromathematics (RIDC NeuroMat) has organized the meeting "Numeracy in Brazil: diagnoses and perspectives," to be held on May 16, in São Paulo. This event has the support of the São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP) and the University of São Paulo School of Education (FEUSP).
This event intends to provide an opportunity for discussions and proposals to improve numeracy in Brazil. Data from the 2015 Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA), a triennial assessment of the educational system in dozens of countries in the world, appear to corroborate a general understanding that the level of mathematical literacy in Brazil is worrying. Mathematical literacy, as assessed by PISA, includes understanding the role of Mathematics in making sense of the world and engaging with Mathematics in a way that corresponds to basic skills of establishing connections, reasoning, problem solving and representation.
As a keynote speaker, PISA specialist Esther Carvalhaes will be responsible for providing an understanding of the 2015 report of mathematical literacy.
The RIDC NeuroMat has sustained a continuous education program, and the expectation is that this meeting in May will contribute to establishing a general overview of Brazil's challenges in mathematical literacy and building a pool of purposeful directions to face these challenges.
Prior registration is required for those interested in receiving a certificate of participation.
Last NeuroMat scientific publications
- M. Abadi, L. Cardeño, S. Gallo. Potential Well Spectrum and Hitting Time in Renewal Processes. Journal of Statistical Physics, 2015, 159(5), 1087-1106.
- Y. Kohayakawa et al. Estimating Parameters Associated with Monotone Properties. LIPIcs-Leibniz International Proceedings in Informatics, 2016, v. 60.
NeuroMat in the media
- Wikipedia is an effective tool for education. Thais Paiva, Carta Capital (Carta Educação), 3/15/2017. (In Portuguese)
- Positions for Postdoctoral Researchers
- Openings for Software Developers
- Opening for Web-based and mobile application design Scholarship
NeuroMat Facebook Highlights
NeuroMat Blog Highlights
- CEPID NeuroMat fala sobre pesquisa em comunicação e Wikipédia a estudantes da Faculdade Cásper Líbero
- Novo projeto do NeuroMat pesquisa os desafios da comunicação em cartilhas na área da saúde
- Novo projeto do NeuroMat explora desafios de retratar a ciência por meio da imagem
- Fla-Flu no cérebro: um ensaio de Antonio Galves
NeuroMat is a research center established in 2013 at the University of São Paulo that is dedicated to integrating mathematical modeling and theoretical neuroscience. Among the core missions of NeuroMat are the creation of a new mathematical system to understanding neural data and the development of neuroscientific open-source computational tools. The research center is headed by Prof. Antonio Galves, from USP's Institute of Mathematics and Statistics, and is funded by the São Paulo Research Foundation (FAPESP).
To receive monthly updates on NeuroMat's work or pertaining news, please subscribe to NeuroMat's newsletter: neuromat.numec.prp.usp.br/newsletter/subscriptions
For more information or press inquiries on NeuroMat, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
NeuroMat's website: neuromat.numec.prp.usp.br
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/neuromathematics. On this FB page we post updates on Neuromathematics, related news, forthcoming events and other pertaining information.
Previous issues of the NeuroMat Newsletter (features)
See all editions here