The Research, Innovation and Dissemination Center for Neuromathematics (NeuroMat), hosted by the University of Sao Paulo, Brazil, and funded by FAPESP (São Paulo Research Foundation), is offering several postdoctoral fellowships for recent PhDs with outstanding research potential.
The research will involve collaborations with experimental and theoretical groups and laboratories associated to NeuroMat and may be developed at USP Sao Paulo, USP Ribeirao Preto or Unicamp.
We seek candidates capable to develop independent research in one of the research lines below.
- Stochastic and/or computational modeling of the brain functioning.
- Acquisition, processing and quantitative analysis of electrophysiological data.
Candidates to the first research line are required to have at least one of the profiles below:
- A strong background in probability theory with emphasis on stochastic processes. Previous knowledge of rigorous statistical mechanics or random graphs will be favorably considered.
- A strong mathematical and/or computational background and experience with computers and programming. Previous experience with development and/or simulation of neural brain models, complex networks and parallel computing will be favorably considered.
Candidates to the second research line are required to have at least one of the profiles below:
- A strong background in neuroscience with previous experience in neurophysiological data acquisition, processing and analysis and knowledge of computer programming. Previous experience with multidisciplinary research teams is welcome.
- A strong background in computer science with experience in the development of algorithms, software tools and data bases. Previous research experience in neuroscience or related areas will be favorably considered.
The initial appointment is for two years, with a possible extension to up to four years, conditional or research progress. The fellowship is competitive at international level, and fellows benefit from extra funds for travel and research expenses plus limited support for relocation expenses.
Applicants should complete and submit the application form at neuromat.numec.prp.usp.br/postdoc-form. The following documents and information are requested (please see the form for further details):
- Summary of the CV, in the FAPESP format (see www.fapesp.br/en/6351 for instructions.)
- List of publications, with links to those available online.
- A summary of your research plan for the next 2 years, up to 5 pages length. It should explicitly address its place in the framework of the NeuroMat mission and research program.
- Pointers to other research related output, such as software, web pages, and so forth. Candidates should be willing to send copies of publications, if requested.
- Any further information deemed relevant to the application.
In addition to the above, we require at least 2 recommendation letters. Those should be mailed by the recommenders directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates are encouraged to apply at their earliest convenience. Two independent evaluation rounds are planned, each one over then current applications:
- On August 15, 2016.
- On October 17, 2016.
Appointments are expected to be effective within 2 to 6 months after the evaluation date.
Candidates approved on either round will be requested to expand their five-page research plan to full two-year proposals. For the implementation of the fellowships, those proposals, together with all the application material received, will be submitted to FAPESP for final approval.